[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD 5.X, renaming interfaces, and boot scripts

Tillman Hodgson tillman
Mon Nov 1 14:42:22 EST 2004

How's that for a subject line? *grin*

Anyway, I was playing with renaming hmeX interfaces on a quad-NIC in an
Ultra 5 running -CURRENT today. This could be very, very useful for
firewalls -- I've gotten interfaces mixed up before (one a box with 10
interfaces).

But what about boot scripts?

It seems to me that there needs to be a knob to name an interface
/before/ networking is brought up, or else the scripts will reference
the wrong name. Is there such a beast?

grep'ing for 'name' in /etc/defaults doesn't show anything like it,
though I could be looking in the wrong place. devfs, maybe?

-T

--
The mere sense of living is joy enough.
	Emily Dickinson