[nycbug-talk] change sendmail port from 25 to something else

Mikel King mikel.king
Tue Nov 2 10:56:31 EST 2004

Jerry B. Altzman wrote:

> Mikel King wrote:
>
>> I know somewhere down the line I'll regret this but...Assuming that
>> you are running FreeBSD you should be able to do the following;
>

> Very nice -- however, here's the question.
> If you're using sendmail as your mail submission agent (to thence send
> out mail) all well and good.
> If you're trying to receive mail on it from, it ain't gonna work right.

Right you are, but if Optimumonline is indeed blocking inbound port 25
then it really isn't an issue.

> Why can't he just use the smtp servers from optimum online?

Yes why not? I suppose if one wanted to have their own sasl enabled smtp
engine for their treo600 or some other silly pda type dev. That would be
reason enough, especialy if the ISP does block inbound 25. If this were
the reason then I suppose point two wouldn't matter that much. But of
course this is all just speculation.

--
Cheers,
Mikel King
Optimized Computer Solutions, INC
39 West Fourteenth Street
Second Floor
New York, NY 10011
http://www.ocsny.com
t: 212.727.2100x132
You may like them. You will see. You may
like them in a tree.
http://www.FreeBSD.org
http://www.OpenOffice.org
http://www.Mozilla.org
How do you spell cooperation? Pessimists use
each other, but optimists help each other.
Collaboration feeds your spirit, while
competition only stokes your ego. You'll
find the best way to get along.