[nycbug-talk] backup server?

pete wright pete
Sun Nov 7 18:21:42 EST 2004

hey ya'll thought i'd post this as a rfc type thing.  i've prolly gone
for too long w/o a home backup solution, which is kinda bad expecially
considering i try to help out on the bacula lists when i have time.  so
i'm asking around what you all have going on.  i'm kinda cheep when it
comes to electricity ($$ wise and environmentally) so i've been leaning
to getting an older intel type system or possibly an older sun.  (think
those consume less power than my current dual athlon workstation and
dual G4 mac workstation).

question with the sun's, any comments on running a spark with a dds tape
drive on FreeBSD.  i've found this (which prolly doesn't save me much
power, but it could double up as a mp3/avi NAS:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=73324&item=5729969556

anyone have a similar setup running on sun gear i should keep my eyes
open for?

thanks!
-pete