[nycbug-talk] backup server?

George Georgalis george
Sun Nov 7 19:42:54 EST 2004

On Sun, Nov 07, 2004 at 03:21:42PM -0800, pete wright wrote:
>hey ya'll thought i'd post this as a rfc type thing.  i've prolly gone
>for too long w/o a home backup solution, which is kinda bad expecially
>considering i try to help out on the bacula lists when i have time.  so
>i'm asking around what you all have going on.  i'm kinda cheep when it
>comes to electricity ($$ wise and environmentally) so i've been leaning
>to getting an older intel type system or possibly an older sun.  (think
>those consume less power than my current dual athlon workstation and
>dual G4 mac workstation).

Haven't we discussed this before? Older doesn't necessarily mean less
power. The via epia series M10000 has one interface, CL10000 has
two. Those are 1Ghz and use 17 watts, the slower models don't even
require a fan on the cpu (there's a lot more to deciding than the
number of interfaces). They where designed for low power/heat embedded
applications. I like the idotpc.com silent cube (8x8x12") case. Throw
in a $26 sata controller (ebay yesterday, after shipping) and a 5 year
warranty seagate 14 watt, 200Gb $130 sata drive (monarchcomputer.com).
and there you go. Don't forget power cable adapter, shentech.com.

// George

--
George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator Linux BSD IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george at galis.org