[nycbug-talk] Re: backup server?

a nice bug nycbug
Sun Nov 7 23:39:03 EST 2004

George Georgalis:
> On Sun, Nov 07, 2004 at 03:21:42PM -0800, pete wright wrote:
> >hey ya'll thought i'd post this as a rfc type thing.  i've prolly gone
> >for too long w/o a home backup solution, which is kinda bad expecially
> >considering i try to help out on the bacula lists when i have time.  so
> >i'm asking around what you all have going on.  i'm kinda cheep when it
> >comes to electricity ($$ wise and environmentally) so i've been leaning
> >to getting an older intel type system or possibly an older sun.  (think
> >those consume less power than my current dual athlon workstation and
> >dual G4 mac workstation).
>
> Haven't we discussed this before? Older doesn't necessarily mean less
> power. The via epia series M10000 has one interface, CL10000 has
> two. Those are 1Ghz and use 17 watts, the slower models don't even
> require a fan on the cpu (there's a lot more to deciding than the
> number of interfaces). They where designed for low power/heat embedded
> applications. I like the idotpc.com silent cube (8x8x12") case. Throw
> in a $26 sata controller (ebay yesterday, after shipping) and a 5 year
> warranty seagate 14 watt, 200Gb $130 sata drive (monarchcomputer.com).
> and there you go. Don't forget power cable adapter, shentech.com.

George,

Do you have FreeBSD 5 running on the CL10000? Any issues - was
everything on the board supported? Thanks for any comment - I was
looking at these boards but don't find much FreeBSD info about them
and you're the first person I've seen mention them specifically.
Sorry to drift slightly OT..

Harold