[nycbug-talk] Re: backup server?

a nice bug nycbug
Mon Nov 8 14:29:13 EST 2004

George Georgalis:
<snip>
> >George,
> >
> >Do you have FreeBSD 5 running on the CL10000? Any issues - was
> >everything on the board supported? Thanks for any comment - I was
> >looking at these boards but don't find much FreeBSD info about them
> >and you're the first person I've seen mention them specifically.
> >Sorry to drift slightly OT..
>
> I cannot say for certain, but I would expect so the cpu is i386
> compatible, and the components have pretty well established drivers, at
> least under linux. This is the pci bus of an M10000 with an sata card:
>
> 00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 3123
> 00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8633 [Apollo Pro266 AGP]
> 00:0d.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller (rev 80)
> 00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. UHCI USB (rev 80)
> 00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. UHCI USB (rev 80)
> 00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. UHCI USB (rev 80)
> 00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 3104 (rev 82)
> 00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 3177
> 00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
> 00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
> 00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. Ethernet Controller (rev 74)
> 00:14.0 RAID bus controller: CMD Technology Inc: Unknown device 3112 (rev 02)
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 3122 (rev 03)
>
> I do have a CL10000 on hand but I'm having a problem with it so I cannot
> check for sure. It reads the ide disk okay (checked whole disk with
> a knoppix boot) but it's having a problem reading certain tracks of
> the atapi cdrom (and hence /bin/csh of the DragonFly install). Pretty
> strange. I've not positively determined it's not the cdrom drive itself.
> But even if this board has failed, I'd replace it with the same, it's
> been abused having two drives in a cheap, hot, case. And that case was
> in a virtually enclosed cabinet...
>
> I think that was the first one I got, maybe a year ago. Presently I
> have 4 (3xCL10000, 1xM10000) in production, three have been in place ~6
> mos the fourth is a new install.

Thanks for the info George - my main concern was about the VIA
Ethernet controller and especially the main VIA chipsets.. FreeBSD
5.0 would not boot other VIA chipsets I had in FlexATX boards in
Shuttle cubes, so I wondered what the progress was. BTW what are you
using these little systems for?

Harold