[nycbug-talk] Hardware Recommendation

pete at nomadlogic.org pete
Wed Nov 17 17:04:14 EST 2004

> On Wed 2004.11.17 at 11:03 -0500, Jerry B. Altzman wrote:
>> Bjorn Nelson wrote:
>> >I prefer IBM laptops.  You can find some from a couple years ago for
>> >this price on ebay.  The benefits are that it's light, quiet, and it
>> has
>> >a built in UPS.
>>
>> And, they're only 1u!
>> Imagine a rack *full* of them!
>
> been there, done that ;)

a spoke with someone at bsdcan last year that went this route which makes
alot of sense to me in some situations.  he just setup a bunch of shelves
in his server room, layed out the mobo's/dirves on the shelves with no
case.  apparently it saved him a good chunk of money on cases, and cooling
became less of an issue as well.  also i imagine maint. was a bit easier
as well ;)

-p