[nycbug-talk] BSD on a G3

Dave Steinberg dave-dated-1101480855.098573
Fri Nov 19 09:53:55 EST 2004

> Our graphic design dept. recently upgraded their machines.? I know
> have a couple of older green/blue G3s.? They won't run OSX very well
> and besides,? I don't have the spare licenses.? I'm considering
> putting OpenBSD on them..
>
>  Does this make sense?? OpenBSD will run on these, right?

This is perhaps the one rare opportunity where I might not encourage
OpenBSD _unilaterally_.  I think you'd be surprised how well OS X runs
on these machines.  It really depends what you'll be using them for, of
course, but I'm writing this email to you from a G3 pismo laptop (400
mhz, 384 megs of ram, bigger hard disk) and it works great for my
usage.  I'm running OS X 10.3.6 and my working set of apps include
Mail.app, Safari, iCal, iTunes, and a bunch of terminals.  I also do
some light programming on here from time to time.

Basically if you're considering anything server related, stick with
OpenBSD.  Anything remotely desktop-oriented... OS X still is pretty
awesome even on older hardware.  Granted expose isn't the fastest thing
on this machine, but it still is useful.

And as a perhaps vague display of my commitment to this laptop, I'll
add that I just placed an order for a new power adapter on Wednesday,
since mine sparks if you gently twist the cable wrong.  :)

Regards,
--
Dave Steinberg
http://www.geekisp.com/