[nycbug-talk] BSD on a G3

Okan Demirmen okan
Fri Nov 19 10:03:11 EST 2004

On Fri 2004.11.19 at 09:38 -0500, marco at metm.org wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 09:00:01AM -0500, Okan Demirmen wrote:
> >
> >i run openbsd on my powerbook (g4) as my main desktop. it works for me ;)
> >
> How's the power management ?
> Does it sleep when you shut the cover ?

apm works, but it is basic really. no advanced features due to its
undocumented nature. it doesn't really go into hiberate/sleep, just
seems like it.

> What are you doing for the middle and right mouse buttons ?

there are a few things one can do in xmodmap, as well as option/apple
-click can emulate middle/right mouse buttons. yes, this is the
most annoying thing...and the fact that i don't have my trusty
"shift insert" combo...;(

> I've been running debian on my powerbookg4 for the last few years, but
> have been thinking of a switch...

i've yet to try linux on it....maybe before i sell this thing, i will.

> power management is decent (it sleeps when I close the cover)
> I carry a mini usb mouse with 3buttons +scroll.

yea, i do too...the part i haven't fixed is disabling the trackpad when
the usb mouse is in.

all in all, i'm only medium happy with my powerbook. os x annoyed
me for so many reasons and openbsd works well, but undocumented/closed
hardware is becoming a big issue for me. i should have gotten the
cheapest ibook and left it at that - something to toy around on.
on the positive side, i like the fact i can have a ppc chipset on
my lap, though once amd64 laptops make a real play, i'll have a
hard time coming back to apple (desktops). (sorry apple guys) ;)

now if the x86/amd bios guys realize the power of apple's and sun's
openboot, they could win me over on the server-side too...another
day, another topic.

my $.02 on my off-topic rambling...

okan

> --
> Marco

Okan Demirmen <okan at demirmen.com>
PGP-Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB3670934
PGP-Fingerprint: 226D B4AE 78A9 7F4E CD2B 1B44 C281 AF18 B367 0934