[nycbug-talk] a usb watch

Bob Ippolito bob
Sun Nov 28 22:43:03 EST 2004

On Nov 28, 2004, at 10:30 PM, G. Rosamond wrote:

> On Nov 28, 2004, at 10:17 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:

>>> Actually, that site doesn't mention it, but you can detach the USB
>>> part.
>>>
>>> I dunno if you can put the knife in your check-in baggage.  To be on
>>> the safe
>>> side, I'd assume no for the obvious reasons.
>>
>> You can check a bag full of knives, razor blades, and screwdrivers
>> with no problem..  You just can't bring any with you through
>> security.
>>

> That depends on the airport. . .
>
> Not sure *exactly* what they were looking for, but the Costa Rican
> search in San Jose went through each and every passenger's bag by
> hand, and it wasn't a two second operation. . .
>
> Wouldn't even let me take a nonfolding umbrella on the plan. . .
>
> After the $25 pp "departure tax", of course.
>
> Seems that no country wants to be implicated with anything happening
> on a departing plane going to the US.  Particularly after you affirm
> that you're not a member country of the 'coalition' despite the
> 'coalition's' www site.

Are you sure you're talking about checked baggage?  The stuff that you
leave at checkin and don't see again until baggage claim?  Because the
rules mostly only limit what you can bring on the plane, it's perfectly
ok to check most things (flammable gas or liquids including lighters,
biohazardous materials, etc. are of course exceptions).

I've taken all sorts of stuff in checked baggage with no problem.  Even
RIGHT after 9/11 I was able to take all kinds of conspicuous stuff in
checked bags.  Wire cutters, bare electronics, wires, heat shrink guns,
razors, etc. (it probably looked like I was making bombs) on planes all
over the US.  Of course my bags got searched on a few occasions.. the
only thing that ever happened was I had left a phillips head
screwdriver in my bag once and they took it from me during a "random"
search just before boarding a plane in Ohio.

-bob