[nycbug-talk] A couple of security related questions

Louis Bertrand louis
Mon Oct 4 15:52:46 EDT 2004

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Steve Rieger wrote:

> Is it possible to disable root access except from console logins,
> Do you guys recommend putting rcs on /etc and /sbin etc...

One trick that helps me manage config files is to manually create
restore points. Let's say I want to edit /etc/group:

cd /etc
sudo mv group group.orig  # (invent your own journaling scheme)
sudo cp group.orig group
sudo vi group
# So now you have the new version and the original with correct timestamp

# . . . later if you want to restore the original . . .
sudo mv group.orig group  # Mod time unchanged

It's not exactly a long term thing, but it's useful for putting
things back the way they were if the changes don't work.

Ciao
 --Louis  <louis at bertrandtech dot ca>