config management Re: [nycbug-talk] A couple of security related questions

George Georgalis george
Tue Oct 5 21:54:18 EDT 2004

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 03:40:12PM -0400, Isaac Levy wrote:
>for everyone's edification here, there is a VERY cool distributed data
>toolkit I wanted to mention called spread-
>
>http://www.spread.org/
>
>I've experienced it in the context of Zope/ZEO use, basically keeping
>concurrency between object databases across hardwares, and in one case,
>across geo-diverse servers.  It's cool, simple to use, and FAST (in the
>context of what it is designed to do!).

err, umm, sounds nice but I don't really see any examples of use on the
website and the user guide is a 52 page pdf... Does it have utility in
under 60 minutes?

>In a nutshell, you can write shell scripts that use spread, or an app
>(with bindings likely in your language of choice), to keep concurrency
>between files across a network.  Spread does not make any assumptions
>about lower levels of the network, so you can secure it however you
>wish (stunnel or vpn perhaps?).

Like I said, sounds good, but without seeing how it works, I'm inclined
to try unison first which I don't expect to be much different than
rsync.

// George

--
George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator Linux BSD IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george at galis.org