config management Re: [nycbug-talk] A couple of security related questions

Tillman Hodgson tillman
Tue Oct 5 23:29:23 EDT 2004

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 09:34:19PM -0400, George Georgalis wrote:
> nice, but what if you have blue AND green lights on your servers!

Then you have use LDAP instead of Kerberos, of course!

> seriously, once at a large site (65 servers), we has something
> similar, but it was very pedestrian, not much more than a loop that
> did 'ssh $2@$groupnode $3' for each computer in group $1. clusterit
> looks much more developed...

It makes AIX admins with PSSP experience get all teary-eyed with joy.

I found that unnerving.

(Hopefully Lonny isn't on this list *grin*).

> really so many ways to do change management, but if all the admins
> don't agree, none of them work.

That's the bottom line, yup.

memo/rant on that topic at http://www.monkeybagel.com/memebucket.html
(scroll down to "Esteemed colleagues").

I /seriously/ have to get a pipe wrench. Heh.

> nice to see the the glider hacker emblem, I forgot about that,

Yeah. In spite of the fact that it didn't really catch on, I liked the
logo enough to keep it.

> interesting mouse over too... didn't dig it out of all the css, is it
> free?

Yup. It utilizes JavaScript, though, which annoys some folks ;-)

> I looked at the bash performance toolshed too,

Thanks! I'm most proud of the stuff aimed at a more technical audience,
which I now have up at http://prod.seekingfire.com/documents/. The
graphics for the filesystem layout in the Linux File System Hierarchy
brochure is particularly nice, partly because it's dynamic and will
redraw itself if I change the LaTeX around a bit.

Yay, it was a productive evening. Only 3 major items left before the
site can change it's hostname to "www" and go public :-)

-T

--
"It's hard to find people in society who can administer UNIX and
 professionally carry a weapon."