[nycbug-talk] good explanation of BSD license

Dru dlavigne6
Wed Oct 13 15:08:08 EDT 2004

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004, Isaac Levy wrote:

> Hi Dru, All,
>
> On Oct 13, 2004, at 2:41 PM, Dru wrote:
>

>> I'm looking for a good URL explaining the benefits of the BSD license for
>> those who are unfamiliar with it. So far I've found this so-so explanation:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSD_and_GPL_licensing
>>
>> Anyone aware of a better URL to either an explanation of the differences
>> between the two licenses or a whitepaper touting the benefits of the BSD
>> license? My audience will be government and mostly non-technical.
>>
>> Dru
>
> In that context, I really like to direct folks to the Open Source Initiative,
> as they are pretty license agnostic, and provide great comparisons and
> information at their site, as well as a boatload of licenses:
>
> http://www.opensource.org/licenses/

Yup, saw that but wasn't really impressed with their explanation of the
BSD license. There will be copies of "Understanding Open Source and Free
Software Licensing" available at the trade show. However, since there
didn't seem to be an existing slide presentation regarding the BSDs
available for trade show use (not that I could find), I'm going to make my
slides available so the next person doesn't have to reinvent the wheel.

Would the group like to make comment on the rough draft of the slides?
Right now they're in .sxi (OpenOffice Impress) format but I can convert to
a PDF. If I can't attach to the list, I can upload them to
www.theopensourceadvocate.org  .

I also can't seem to get colour into my slides. This is probably due to
the fact that I've never created slides before. Any tips on how to jazz up
the slides are certainly appreciated :-)

Dru