[nycbug-talk] good explanation of BSD license

Trish Lynch trish
Thu Oct 14 13:11:09 EDT 2004

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004, Dru wrote:

> I'm looking for a good URL explaining the benefits of the BSD license for
> those who are unfamiliar with it. So far I've found this so-so
> explanation:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSD_and_GPL_licensing
>
> Anyone aware of a better URL to either an explanation of the differences
> between the two licenses or a whitepaper touting the benefits of the BSD
> license? My audience will be government and mostly non-technical.
>
> Dru

I once wriote an article o the BSD licenmsing for a layperson in an issue
of Open Magazine years ago. The magazine is now defunct, but some people
may retain copies....

mine are lost... so I can't find them...

however I think the one point that someone who is a BSD licensing advocate
can drive home is that modified works can be recopyrighted and
modifications kept internal, with no licensing clause that mandates
sharing the changes...

This is a big boon to both government and private sector development where
things can indeed remain internal or classified.

-Trish

Trish Lynch					   trish at bsdunix.net
Ecartis Core Team 			      trish at listmistress.org
EFNet IRC Operator/SysAdmin @ irc.dkom.at             AilleCat at EFNet
Key fingerprint = 781D 2B47 AA4B FC88 B919  0CD6 26B2 1D62 6FC1 FF16