[nycbug-talk] Simon Lok meeting

G. Rosamond george
Fri Oct 22 12:54:38 EDT 2004

Simon Lok is posed to speak for us November 3rd.

I first met Simon a few years back after he did a NYLUG meeting on
security.  He attacked the common wisdom approaches to security of the
day (all you need is a firewall, etc) and was thoroughly brilliant.  As
soon as we formed NYC*BUG, I contacted him about speaking for us.  His
firm's infrastructure is all OpenBSD, and his product is OpenBSD-based.

If you haven't read the Forbes article about him yet, there's a link on
the NYC*BUG homepage.  Simon told me recently that the hard copy of the
article is a bit different, but I haven't read it yet.

Lots of people have played with all-in-one wonder boxes, looking to
solve a variety of network needs with one box.  Simon seems to be the
first actually getting somewhere with it, unlike the rest of us. <g>

Anyway, this should be an interesting meeting, particularly for those
looking to use *BSD for a product.