[nycbug-talk] Fwd: Firmware license

Charles Sprickman spork
Wed Oct 27 14:24:53 EDT 2004

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Isaac Levy wrote:

> I'm not 100% on this, but I believe the AirPort G card issue has more to do
> with external chipset manufacturers than it does apple?  They just put the
> chips in a different form factor...
> I'm under the impression this is a problem for most G cards?

Looking at the kismac wiki, it appears that the AE card is Broadcom and
that other broadcom cards have the same issue.  Of course if you have a
powerbook with a pcmcia slot, you're all set as you can throw just about
any card in there.

Any chipset that allows "passive" capture can do WEP cracking, but
currently the Broadcom cards don't allow this.  A rundown on "active vs.
passive" is here:

http://binaervarianz.de/projekte/programmieren/kismac/wiki/wiki.php/KisMAC/FAQTechnicalPassiveVsActive

Supported cards are here:

http://binaervarianz.de/projekte/programmieren/kismac/hardwarelist.php