[nycbug-talk] Re: Fwd: Signature Confirmation - Intel Support of Centrino Under Linux - 9083 - xanthan

Louis Bertrand louis
Sat Oct 30 21:50:51 EDT 2004

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, a nice bug wrote:

> Jesse Callaway:
> > ..
> > Everyone agree that there is -only- foul play involved? Is
> > this possible illegal?
>
> Neither, I think. What law is there that says a company must
> publicly divulge (let alone publish in book form suitable for
> engineers) its proprietary designs and methods - none I think but
> please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> Now, if Intel continues to labor under a disadvantaged business
> model in order to "protect themselves" then that is another matter!
>
> Sometimes it's hard to remember that the Open Source View of the
> World isn't the only view of the world...
>
> Harold

Intel's dominance of the market is due to aggressive marketing and
advanced IC processing techology that can deliver small geometries
and fast devices. It's silly to claim that concealing an ABI will
make or break the company.

Ciao
 --Louis  <louis at bertrandtech dot ca>