[nycbug-talk] Virtual Jail Installfest

Isaac Levy ike
Fri Sep 3 01:28:34 EDT 2004

Hi all,

I wanted to keep this one a bit low key, as bandwidth/space is limited,
but I'm hosting a 'Virtual Jailing Installfest', starting tomorrow
afternoon!

The skinny, this weekend, I'm giving root access to a server in my home
office, and let everyone who wants to get their feet wet with jails!
It's an ad-hock followup to the last lecture.

It's something a mix between a biker-gang party at some bar in the
Badlands of the Dakotas, or a bunch of Buddhist Monks getting together
to do a sand painting in Tibet.
Except it's more like a bunch of UNIX hackers getting together across
the internet, to go nuts on a server for the weekend, so it's not
really much like either...

If you aren't comfortable with a root shell on a UNIX machine, please
tag-team with someone who is- this party requires basic unix
administrative knowledge, but we don't want to leave anyone out!
Everyone can always learn *something*!

Anyhow,

WHY:
--
I have a little server which is going to be nuked on monday and I
already prepped it with a fresh FreeBSD 5.2.1 install the other day, in

So, now, the machine is sitting here in my home office, going to be
nuked, (for a fresh 4.10 install Monday), and I'd love to give anyone
who came from nycbug the opportunity to create, run, and generally get
your feet wet with jailing in the machine.

I only have 1 external IP address to the world, and it's (more or less)
nat'd to an internal 192.168.1.x address range- so the jailed servers
won't be able to see the outside world- (but one will be able to ssh
into them from the master jailing system).

DETAILS (read if you are attending please!):
--
Any NYCBUG member, or friend of NYCBUG is welcome to 'attend', here's
the deal:

1) Everyone will receive a root account on the Jailing server,

If you want in, you should show up on irc tomrorrow after 1:30pm-2:30pm
EST., and again at 7:30pm to 8:30pm.

     server:irc.freenode.net
    channel:nycbug

I will give out user accounts (ssh login), everyone gets root on the
box (via sudo).  Then, those who then have accounts, can give out more
accounts as folks show up throughout the weekend.

**ANYONE WHO IS LOGGED INTO THE SERVER *MUST* BE ON NYCBUG IRC AT THE
SAME TIME**

If you just want to show up and watch, that's AOK too, the more the
merrier!

2) I will have a system userland pre-compiled (raw, unconfigured) and
available for copying- this will save cpu for everyone, so we're not
all doing a 'make world' at the same time... :)

3) I will be in and out on irc for the weekend, (though working
tomorrow and Sat.,) but I should be around to answer questions, and
keep things running smoothly.  If I'm not around, it's up to the
attendees to keep the party lively.  Nobody do anything dangerous while
I'm not around, ok?

4) The purpose of this fun is to let everyone experiment with Jailing,
so while other uses of the system is aok, let's keep it sane and
focused around jailing- (i.e. no cpu/network intensive off-topic
activities, ok?)  It is fine to compile stuff inside the jails, just
use your better judgement, and tell people on irc what your doing.
(i.e. it would suck if everyone is running cvsup from inside jails all
at once!)

5) This is not a NYC only event, and is open to anyone interested- but
as my bandwidth and server is limited, only so many folks can be on at
once- (we'll just have to feel all that out...)  Invite whomever you
feel will act in the spirit of the event- (hey, some of the most crowed
parties I've been to have had the best dancing- so whatever...)

6) Fork Bombs, Hog Attacks, and other Destructive Activities which are
'on topic' with regard to jailing:  I'd like to reserve this kind of
activity until Sunday afternoon, if anyone is so inclined.  (insomuch
as I'd like to be around to power-cycle the server).

7) It is everyone's job to keep a light eye on things so that the
server is not compromised and used inappropriately by any dorks to do
nefarious things- (crack remote boxes, send spam, etc...), activities
of that nature will not be tolerated.  In the unlikely event that some
'off-topic' activity happens from the server, I'll simply shut it down-
and whomever is responsible will have a boatload of BSD hardcores after
them for ruining the party... :)

PARTICULARS: