[nycbug-talk] jail party

pete wright pete
Mon Sep 6 11:55:48 EDT 2004

George Georgalis wrote:

>some random notes from the irc jail party....
>
>http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2003-July/007679.html
>http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2003-April/001328.html
>http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2003-April/001328.html
>http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/submit/2004-07/msg00050.html
>

>>ok, so I made a little wooden frame, and took this picture of jesus mary and joseph, that had
>> fiber-optic light thingies in it,
>>and wired it to leds for the blinkenlights-
>>so now jesus is the power led,
>>mary is the wifi acitvity led,
>>and joseph is the ethernet led
>>

>http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/freebsd/2003-10/0035.html
>http://www.student.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/~jgoebel/FreeBSD-Jails.html
>ifconfig inet tx0 add 192.168.2.9 netmask 255.255.255.255
>
>guess the focus is on freebsd devfs vs acl for devices on 4.x and 5.x
>
>This morning I found this re using usb keyboards on dragonfly,
>http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/bugs/2004-09/msg00073.html
>http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/bugs/2004-09/msg00077.html
>
>Apparently a usb kbd was needed when the jail box got hosed, a dragonfly
>1.0A cd was booted (with ps2 kbd) to fix but then it couldn't mount the
>FreeBSD 5.x UFS2 filesystems. so I guess the box was reinstalled on
>again.

nah, we were having problems getting the system up with a usb keyboard.
ike threw a ps/2 keyboard on there...booted single user and fixed
/etc/rc.conf.  it seems that /stand/sysinstall hosed the config file..

>Pete started us off with a start_jail script; but there are still some
>problems to work through.
>1) we can't make ip aliases on the rot box with sudo, apparently need be root
>2) in the jail we can see all the partitions of the root box
>3) exactly what needs be done to 'boot' the jail is in the air
>4) I probably missed important things

i think we resolved the virtual ip issue last night too, altho i can't
remember right now.  the one main issue that i think we need to delve
into now (probably on our spare time) is setting up devfs rulesets.
while i think it will be way more flexible in the long term, it was
something that i've never had to hack on my self.  via these rule sets
one can set access rights for various hardware devices...

>Thanks to Ike for hosting the party! Check IRC if it's still on...
>#nycbug on irc.freenode.net

yea i was fun, it definatly got me motivated learning not only about
jails but differnet way's to use memfs as well as starting to gain a
deeper understanding of devfs.  ike and i also found some other new
additions to /etc/rc.conf in regards to jails in FreeBSD 5.x...

-p