[nycbug-talk] Re: BSD Success Stories (fwd)

G.Rosamond george
Thu Sep 23 20:18:00 EDT 2004

On Sep 23, 2004, at 8:13 PM, Charles Sprickman wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Dru wrote:
>
>> The message follows but the basic gist is there's not enough of a BSD
>> market to justify the cost of the pamphlets. This is in-line with the
>> trend I've spoken about with some of you individually: publishers in
>> general and O'Reilly in particular do not see BSD books as a viable
>> market. Noone is arguing the _quality_ of BSD books (thanks to Lucas,
>> Anderson, Lehey, et al.) but it does explain the skew in _quantity_.
>> It also means that I won't be successful in pushing a second BSD book
>> anytime soon (if at all) so I'm afraid the next book won't be on BSD.
>
> Just curious, I noticed that No Starch Press has some decent titles,
> especially the very beginner-friendly and comprehensive Lucas book.
> The last O'Reilly print catalog I received also had a little
> subsection of NSP books...

NSP is distributed by ORA. . .

NSP looks to publish the more 'esoteric'. . .like the recent book Spam
Letters (which is hilarious), hacking the XBox, and the BSDs. . .

I cc'd the publisher Bill, who's a great guy. . .the most democratic
publisher I've ever heard of. . .