[nycbug-talk] Re: BSD Success Stories (fwd)

Marc Spitzer mspitze1
Fri Sep 24 16:46:20 EDT 2004

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 08:43:29 -0400
O_Sleep <o_sleep at belovedarctos.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The roadblock I have been running into, for FreeBSD adoption, is that
> it's not certified to run with certain apps.  I am not really sure how
>
> to get around this one except install FreeBSD on the machines with the
> excuse it's easier to administer and fall back on RedHat or SUSE when
> required.  Have you been able to convince any companies to support
> running their app in linux abstraction layer since it is basically
> redhat?

Getting it running is not the issue, the fact that you have no support
on the app(oracle for example) that your business depends on is.  The
reason you have no effevtive support, even if you bought a support
contract
is that you are in an unsupported configuration.  The first thing your
vendor
will probably tell you is "We will be happy to support the app as soon
as it
is on a supported platform, please call us back when it is.  Thank you
and have
a nice day.".  This is just the kind of thing that gets management fired
and they
know it.

marc