[nycbug-talk] OT: home ISP

Isaac Levy ike
Fri Sep 24 19:54:48 EDT 2004

Hi all,

On Sep 24, 2004, at 6:33 PM, Bjorn Nelson wrote:

> if you go with dsl I recommend acedsl:
> http://www.acedsl.com
>
> static ip and they cater to those that want to run services.
>
> -Bjorn

I'm sorry to disagree here Bjorn-

AceDSL BAD
--
I'll seriously raise a red flag over AceDSL/AceScape DSL many years ago
for about 2 years even, and it was a truly awful experience.  The

When I moved to my current address, my roomates had had AceScape for
years, and when I moved in were paying a truly old insane rate- (twice
the price and 1/4 the speed of what's common now), and I wanted to
switch back to my Cloud9.  When I put in the order to change over
service, AceDSL folks did a really nasty thing- they put in a
'Stop-Order' or somesuch with Verizon, instead of just letting Cloud9
take over the connection- (which would have been nearly transparent).
Instead of the line going dead one day, and plugging in the new router
to get back up, our service was outright OFF FOR OVER 35 DAYS- at the
DSLAM- just like Verizon was installing a new line.  Since I work from
home, lets say I got really damn comfie with the local wifi cafe.

For that, f.forget AceDSL.

Cloud9 GOOD
--
http://mirrors.cloud9.net/  <-- FreeBSD Mirror

http://www.cloud9.net/

I've had Colud9 for 3 + years now, and they simply rock- (also they are
BSD folks <g>).
They even walked me through re-configuring my not-so-old AceScape DSL
router for their service, since at the time, they were all selling the
same models.  Service is great, uptime is transparently good, no ports
blocked, and static IP's available.  And they'll explain anything you
need (politely!).

Also very cool, I had a billing snafu when I moved last winter, screwed
me up as I was moving and balancing personal cash (er, spending it)...
Anyhow, I called them, they had indeed screwed up an charged me for
service I'd already disconnected, and not only did they credit-back
what they accidentally charged, but then credited me the sum of what
they screwed up.  Blew my mind.  That's the way I like doing business,
and I appreciate finding a solid provider that works that way.

Rocket,
.ike

(p.s. although nauseatingly gushy, that sphiel was not a paid-for
advertisement.)

--
P.S. My email address has changed with the incorporation of my
business, though structuredsystems email will continue to reach me.  I

isaac at diversaform.com
http://diversaform.com