[nycbug-talk] Re: BSD Success Stories (fwd)

Marc Spitzer mspitze1
Sun Sep 26 20:06:19 EDT 2004

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 15:33:13 -0400 (EDT)
Dru <dlavigne6 at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Isaac Levy wrote:
>
> > For example, who really wants someone writing some lame article
> > about the BSD's in eWeek or that ilk?
>

> The savvy BSD advocate. The one who realizes that we'll always be
> behind in drivers and in the marketplace in general unless we get the
> backing of big companies. And big companies don't back something
> they've never heard of.

I have to go with Dru here, there is a huge difference between manager
says:

"never heard of it"

and

"Yahoo ... use it its big iron grade stuff"

in his/her head

> > IT managers and CIO's read that stuff, not tech books.  Do we want
> > to get before their eyes in that context?  Is that really best for
> > the BSD's?  It sure would bolster 'real world' business support...
> > but at what cost to what drives the BSD's?
>

> YES!!!! Now, hopefully the person writing the article has some clue,
> but yes we want IT managers and CIOs reading about BSD. We want it to
> be something they've heard of when us techies want to implement a BSD
> solution. We don't want every sysadmin out there fighting a lone,
> uphill battle. Look at it this way, if I held the IT pursestrings, why
> on earth would I consider a product I have never even heard of? Or
> have vaguely heard that it's a good server product but behind the
> times as a desktop? Sure, there's news out there about BSD and most of
> it is FUD. Where's the news about the ease of customization, security,
> MAC framework, new drivers, etc? All the reasons why us techies love
> BSD in the first place.
>
> It scares the hell out of me when a major company (O'Reilly) offers to
> back a promotional pamphlet and a simple change in personnel nixes the
> deal. And not one person has asked who the heck they can complain to
> regarding that unkept promise...
>

> > I agree, as this may have to do with things like INSANELY GREAT MAN
> > PAGES, and projects like the FreeBSD Handbook.
>

> Where's the glossy brochures extolling this particular virtue amongst
> the many other BSD virtues so I can give it out at trade shows and
> such?

Oh crap you just volunteered<hehehe>

marc