[nycbug-talk] Re: BSD Success Stories (fwd)

G. Rosamond george
Sun Sep 26 21:10:16 EDT 2004

On Sep 26, 2004, at 7:52 PM, Dru wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, G.Rosamond wrote:
>
>> but i do think that, besides the advocates like many of us, book
>> sales reflect new users attempting to learn more.  there is
>> unquestionably a growth in the BSDs over the past year or so.  it's
>> unmistakable.
>>
>> so why no growth in book sales?
>>
>> What about hits to your OnLamp column Dru?  What's does the graph
>> look like over the past few years. . .
>

> You might find the results surprising. I average 15000 hits per
> article which shows the series has a loyal core of that many fans.
> That average number hasn't really changed since 2000. What's
> interesting are the articles
> which far surpass the average:
>
> Portupgrade:	62568
> Using Sound:	64476
> DVD Playback:	68822
> Ports Tricks:	70243
> Multimedia:	79772
> vi:		81280
> Wine:		94214
> Find:		98803
> IPFW:	       103144 (#83 of ALL of O'Reilly's articles!)
>
> Looks like readers are most interested in multimedia, keeping their
> software up-to-date, mastering 2 of Unix's notorious tools, and
> firewalls.

Mostly home users looking to lock down their networks and replicate
their WinXP boxes?

> Funny, the articles which should appeal to the perceived BSD market
> (sysadmins) rarely go above the 20000 mark. e.g. Building a Unix
> Server,
> Improving User Passwords, SMTP Proxies, etc. Conclusions, anyone?

most BSD admins. . .long term UNIX people who don't need to learn find,
grep, etc?

I don't think the job market is full of positions for entry-level bsd
jobs. . .