[nycbug-talk] there goes the neighborhood

George R. george
Sat Apr 2 13:40:15 EST 2005

On Apr 2, 2005, at 1:16 PM, Jeff Knight wrote:

> On Apr 1, 2005 12:10 PM, Jim Brown <jpb at sixshooter.v6.thrupoint.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Is there anywhere I can donate money?
>
>> From the its funny because its true department... over the next couple
> of months, nyphp will be making calls for more and more volunteers to
> handle various things that need to be done within the organization. We
> are not so much in need of money as time, for people to stand up and
> say, yes, I'll insure that this or that gets taken care of. These
> requests will be made on this list and at the meetings, so stay tuned
> for announcements with specific ways that all of you can help.

wrong list.

;-)

Seriously, I'll talk to King Hansel about this, and maybe we could get
on the same page on this.

Besides LESMUUG, New York PHP is our sister group in the NYC scene.

But in terms of activities and roles in their respective communities,
no group is more similar or a better model for us than NY PHP.

That's the reason why Hans has been involved in NYCBUG since the
beginning, that Jeff designed our awesome logo, etc.  And most recently
that the NYTCHP holiday party was organized by NYPHP and NYCBUG, and
that the event and both organizations in general are filled with many
people with impressive resumes, skills and experience.

As a tangent from yesterday's thread (if anyone didn't pickup that it
was Apr 1, my sarcastic apologies), we need to recognize that NYCBUG
has a larger importance in the NYC user group scene.

Frankly, when we started up, there was some chuckles in the NYC BSD
scene, where it was like, 'oh no, another Linux-like group'.  I'm quite
confident we have dispelled that notion.

O'Reilly & Associates, for examples, has been continually excited by
our activities and meetings, as they are with NYPHP.  Sure, NYCBUG
members have a wide variety of backgrounds, from committers and authors
to hobbyists, and lots in between, but we have maintained a high level
of technical content in our meetings and list.  Recently, a heavy-duty
BSDer from .br, who is on this list (:-'), mentioned how much he enjoys
our list, in that the discussions are useful technically and the tone
is right.

We need to keep that as our modus operandi, and look forward to
becoming more and more of a benefactor to the BSD projects.

So, with that, I'll mention that Okan (now in DC) is leading an effort
to get BSD cvsup mirrors up for each project, administered by NYCBUG,
and hosted by New York Internet.  We'll probably start with NetBSD.
Brad S. has revised our BSD Tracker to provide a resource for those
looking for BSD services in and around NYC.  We host the BSD
Certification lists, and a few of us are on the admin group for that
effort.  And we continue our fundraising efforts with the tshirt sales
for the OpenBSD hackathon.

There's other things that need to be taken on, other project ideas that
could increase our positive impact the BSD community.  Certainly
raising funds for Dan Langille's stolen laptop and dmesgd can be
included in this from the past.

On that note, I want to give another push for BSDCan (.org). . . last
year, the 5 or 6 of us who attended got to know each other well, and it
helped move NYCBUG forward enormously.  If you haven't registered yet,
do it now.  Worry about getting off time from work in the weeks before.
  And there's a list for this year's BSDCan at lists.nycbug.org for
those needing to work out transportation and housing, or if you have
any other questions or issues.

George