[nycbug-talk] dhcp routes

Marc Spitzer mspitzer
Tue Apr 5 23:23:40 EDT 2005

On Apr 5, 2005 10:57 PM, George Georgalis <george at galis.org> wrote:
> ...I guess people don't use vpn devices accept also as their gateway. so
> with a separate gateway, things like a network printer MUST be driven
> from a local subnet host, not via a vpn remote network. will probably
> add a classless route to a host local to the printer and configure that
> host to print locally (for remote vpn clients).

That is not true, the rfc is just assuming a "real router", you can
configure the router to route traffic arbitrarily(back into the source
subnet for example).  The way it would work is as follows:

1: box A sends packet B to the default route/router
2: router looks up the next hop and sends it there,
    the next hop can be in the same subnet

The problem is that most cable/dsl/leaf node routers flat out suck as routers.

So the only thing you need is the default route, the router should
take care of the rest.

marc