[nycbug-talk] [Job] Systems Administrator, Ridge, NY (LIE Exit 68)

Paul Dlug paul
Thu Apr 7 15:38:26 EDT 2005

We just started looking for a systems administrator, I pasted the job
ad below. If anyone has questions they can feel free to contact me. I
should note that the environment is mostly FreeBSD at this point with
some Linux (growing) and Solaris (shrinking).

Thanks,
Paul Dlug
Systems Administration Supervisor
American Physical Society

Systems Administrator

The American Physical Society, a leading publisher of scientific
journals, based in Suffolk County, LI, (LIE exit 68 - near Brookhaven
National Laboratory) seeks a Systems Administrator. This is an exciting
opportunity to be part of a small team that is responsible for the
functions of the computer systems, network, and application
infrastructure at a medium sized business.

Strong  knowledge and solid work experience is required with the
following:

* Unix systems administration (Linux, FreeBSD and Mac OS X preferred).
* Hardware selection, maintenance, and repair (x86, Sun, Mac).
* Programming in a language such as perl, python, ruby.
* Storage technologies (RAID, NFS, iSCSI, Netapp, etc.)
* Networking with TCP/IP, routers, switches, load balancers, etc.
* Directory services using DNS and LDAP.
* Configuration and deployment of web services (Apache, Tomcat,
mod_perl, php, etc.).
* Mail services (sendmail, postfix, SMTP).
* Experience with Mac OS X administration is desirable, experience with
radmind is a big plus.
* Automating tasks in large scale server deployments.

Must have excellent English communication skills, be a team player, and
be service oriented. Participation in an "on call" rotation is required
along with occasional travel to our colocation facility in NY, NY.

Outstanding benefits package and job stability. Check out our website:
www.aps.org. For consideration, send cover letter (including starting
salary requirement) and resume via fax, e-mail or U.S. mail to:

American Physical Society
Attn: HR Director
1 Research Road
Box 9000