[Fwd: Re: [nycbug-talk] FreeBSD Testimonials and Support]

Darryl Wisneski - ski ski
Tue Apr 12 15:49:57 EDT 2005

steve Rieger wrote:
> the company i work for, uses fbsd for to host our web sites, for mysql
> clusters, for ldap, and mail
>
> last month we got over 2 million hits on our web server, and the damn
> thing never complained. the last time we rebooted was about 2 years ago.
> feel free to call me if you need more info

Its funny, the sysadmin has pride in high uptimes as testimony to wise
systems adminstration, and running current, stable & bugfree code.  This
sense of pride is at odds with the developer of that same code.  The
developer has pride in a low uptime as it usually means they are running
current, stable, & bugfree code.

At my work, we have a regularly heavily beaten FBSD 4.1 box with uptime
3.5 years.  We don't do much development it seems...