[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD Testimonials and Support

pete wright nomadlogic
Thu Apr 14 14:21:05 EDT 2005

On 4/14/05, Gordon Smith <g at bin-arts.com> wrote:

> Many thanks to Steve Rieger, Pete Wright, Isaac Levy and Chris Coleman for
> your valuable input.  The info you've shared has helped greatly.  To those
> of you who who offered to take my call if I had additional questions, I'll
> be taking you up on it at a mutually convenient time.

np, glad i could help out.

> As a part of the process of creating my proposal, I've needed to collect
> information on the SCO legal strategy and, presumably, why FreeBSD is a good
> choice of OS in light of SCO's actions.  If anyone is interested in this
> topic, please let me know and I'll forward links to related content to the
> list as I find them (with apologies to those of you who have "had it up to
> here" with that subject).  Here are two links that appear relevant:

personally I would not worry too much about the SCO case currently.
>From what I've read about it, the whole things seems like a trade/IP
dispute between SCO and IBM.  The linux kernel seems to be involved in
this for sure, but I don't think it marks the end of linux
development.  And if I remember correctly Novel or HP or some vendor
has offered idemnity to linux using clients, but still I think it's a
bit too early to worry about this.

Although, having said that the BSD liscense has already been tried in
courts and is much less greedy and restrictive than the GPL liscense.
If I was going to base a product on any open techonology I would take
a serious look at the BSD liscense and how it differs from the GPL
(not to mention the MIT liscense and all the other one's listed on the
OSI site).

-pete

--
~~o0OO0o~~