[nycbug-talk] WiFi use liability. . .

George R. george
Thu Apr 21 15:08:23 EDT 2005

We've all had these discussions, but we all have our theories about
having an open AP and liability. . .

Bruce Schneier refers to a law journal article. . .

Unfortunately, it seems that, at least with my browser, that you can
only access the abstract.

Here's a brief snip. . .

<quote>
Suppose you turn on your laptop while sitting at the kitchen table at
home and respond OK to a prompt about accessing a nearby wireless
Internet access point owned and operated by a neighbor. What potential
liability may ensue from accessing someone else's wireless access
point? How about intercepting wireless connection signals? What about
setting up an open or unsecured wireless access point in your house or
business? Attorneys can expect to grapple with these issues and other
related questions as the popularity of wireless technology continues to
increase.

This paper explores several theories of liability involving both the
accessing and operating of wireless Internet, including the Computer
Fraud and Abuse Act, wiretap laws, as well as trespass to chattels and
other areas of common law. The paper concludes with a brief discussion
of key policy considerations.
</quote>

Obviously, for a corporate network, I really can't see a logic in
keeping an open network . . .

However, with home networks, opinion is split.

But personally, I keep my AP as locked down as possible.

Others?