[nycbug-talk] WiFi use liability. . .

George R. george
Thu Apr 21 16:55:53 EDT 2005

On Apr 21, 2005, at 4:37 PM, George R. wrote:

> On Apr 21, 2005, at 4:35 PM, Kevin Reiter wrote:
>
>> Ray wrote:
>>> There's a link to the full text on the bottom next to the words
>>> "New York, USA".  I would host it, but my web server is down and
>>> it's too big to e-mail to the list.
>>
>> http://www.penguinnetwerx.net/bsd/SSRN-id692881.pdf
>>

> Thanks Kev. . . of course it's still lawyer-speak. . . and even worse,
> academic lawyer-speak, I'd assume.

Let me retract that last statement. . . it's actually readable and
quite useful.

To me the main question wasn't *how* to lock down your AP.  That's
quite simple. . .

MAC address ACL, WEP/WPA with decent keys, not broadcasting address. .
. It's not perfect, but it will generally work unless someone really
knows what they're doing.

The real question is whether to keep your AP open or not.

Some people on this list, I know, keep their AP open, including a
section of the Ludlow street grouping ;-)

Me?  No way. . . liability isn't settled on this issue, and I don't
want to be liable for what someone outside my household does from my
network. . .