[nycbug-talk] WiFi use liability. . .

Isaac Levy ike
Thu Apr 21 17:12:54 EDT 2005

Wordup Gman, All,

So I've got an opposing view,

On Apr 21, 2005, at 3:08 PM, George R. wrote:

> We've all had these discussions, but we all have our theories about
> having an open AP and liability. . .
>
> Bruce Schneier refers to a law journal article. . .
>
> http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=692881
>
> Unfortunately, it seems that, at least with my browser, that you can
> only access the abstract.
>
> Here's a brief snip. . .
>
> <quote>
> Suppose you turn on your laptop while sitting at the kitchen table at
> home and respond OK to a prompt about accessing a nearby wireless
> Internet access point owned and operated by a neighbor. What potential
> liability may ensue from accessing someone else's wireless access
> point? How about intercepting wireless connection signals? What about
> setting up an open or unsecured wireless access point in your house or
> business? Attorneys can expect to grapple with these issues and other
> related questions as the popularity of wireless technology continues
> to increase.
>
> This paper explores several theories of liability involving both the
> accessing and operating of wireless Internet, including the Computer
> Fraud and Abuse Act, wiretap laws, as well as trespass to chattels and
> other areas of common law. The paper concludes with a brief discussion
> of key policy considerations.
> </quote>
>
> Obviously, for a corporate network, I really can't see a logic in
> keeping an open network . . .
>
> However, with home networks, opinion is split.
>
> But personally, I keep my AP as locked down as possible.
>
> Others?

George, you know me on this issue- we've agreed to disagree alltogether
for quite some time now- but thought I'd post *why* here.

Basically, I think this one is bogus, (though I've come to love Bruce
Schneier over the years, and usually wait with baited breath for
CryptoGram newsletters).

I feel this is bogus hype for because:

1) Raido Signals, in the '*My* Kitchen, *Their* wifi' scenario, are the
things invading *My* kitchen.  As an aside, in parts of Manhattan,
there's bigger problems with the notorious Archos chipset AP's gobbling
up RF space and killing all connectivity worth a darn.  Another example
would be wireless phone handsets, in the 2.4ghz range I believe, a
neighbor's new phone can destroy wireless connectivity alltogether.

2) There are mountians of legal precidence for this stuff(!), it's
RADIO- which has existed way longer than our rediscovery of our wifi/IP
uses for it.  A nice explanation of what's legal is here, in
plain-english, (a radio equp. reseller):
http://www.usascan.com/files/scanning-legally.html

The three big things which require a court order to 'listen' to,
mandated by the FCC, (with laws old as the hills) are re-stated on the
page:

- Telephone conversations (cellular, cordless, or other private means
of telephone signal transmission)
- Pager transmissions
- Any scrambled or encrypted transmissions

With that, from the 'Secret Lives of Photons' lecture at ShmooCon/DC
this winter, lazy/(cheapskate) police/emergency communications vendors
call ASCII encoding 'encryption' in product/sales materials, so they
can push into fuzzy legal territory...

Other than that, the real aims of the FCC over time has been more to
*reduce* the amount and range of various radio signals, to ensure a
level of fair/governed use.

--
With that, I'll gladly push my but into the courts for
cracking/disabling somebody's AP if it's interfering with my own

I also feel privileged to use other open AP's when I'm away from home,
and do it all the time- from cafe's, cars, etc...  and feel it's
terrifically hypocritical to close off one's AP to the world
<cough>Gman</cough>.  If I ever get to a point where I personally don't
have enough bandwidth at home, leeches soaking my line, 'I'll simply
throttle the bandwidth for guests' in some transparent manner- (even
the cheap-o AP's are getting pretty sophistocated with features to do
this in various ways).

The one part of this I do agree with somewhat is Dan's use of IPSec
over the wireless.  Insomuch as I disagree with closing off net/www
access from the AP (for reasons stated above), I am an advocate of
Application-layer encryption being the only *sane* way to mitigate
malicious compromises in *any* network.  Wep is gift paper wrapping,
mac-based ACL is wax paper wrapping...  WPA, is just a few more layers
of waxed paper to tear through...

--
With that rant, I said my piece- and Gman, as much as I respect your
views on this one, I'm not trying to flame your chops with undue reason

Rocket-
.lke