[nycbug-talk] WiFi use liability. . .

Isaac Levy ike
Thu Apr 21 18:36:57 EDT 2005

Words,

On Apr 21, 2005, at 6:00 PM, George R. wrote:
>> So I've got an opposing view,
> yes, i was baiting *you* on this dot_ike. . .

:P  bring it on friend.

On Apr 21, 2005, at 6:00 PM, George R. wrote:
> Okay . . . . but that's not responding to my point about liability.

Dude, liability my tailfeathers.  What about IP spoofing?

http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1674

And viola, whaddya' know, from the 'Shareware Connection', downloadble
windows gui software to 'Spoof Ip Address':

http://www.sharewareconnection.com/titles/spoof-ip-address.htm

Ain't that cute?

--
Just to show I'm not just a whiner/complainer, I will throw in a
solution: IPV6?  Where are we all at with this?  STAND UP MY BROTHA'S

(perhaps I'll donate space for an IPV6 howto/network-installfest thing
at my house?  I've got plenty of space...  Like a Lan party, with less
first person shooter gaming...)

On Apr 21, 2005, at 6:00 PM, George R. wrote:

> And most importantly, in the era of the USA Patriot Act, etc, it
> really doesn't take much legal precedence to pay for the "sins" of
> others. . .

Right.  I know offline you can hit me for being hypocritical as I say,
*THAT DOESN'T MEAN WE AREN'T IN THE RIGHT TO TAKE THIS TO THE STREETS.*
  Are we Americans, or are we spineless fearful 'patriots'?

> Even think of what's happening to service providers today: someone did
> X wrong on your network, give us your logs.  Why open yourself up to
> that scenario?

Whole other discussion there- MANY issues, but one I'll comment on
here, is to continue to chant *ARE WE AMERICANS OR RAT-FINKS*?

> And if you go through that EFF document again on sysadmins and logging
> at http://www.eff.org/osp/, you'll realize the broadness of the
> definition of an "Online Service Provider" could probably include you
> and your open AP.

I fully understand the implications of this issue, and I would then
argue beyond my idealistic rant above, I'd actually advocate that just
like logging to /dev/null, (i.e. longrunning discussion about UK
rules), it's saner to just leave AP's open- as it's ridiculous to find
the packets that actually went *across* the wires, in a heavily used
AP- let alone to go back to the IP spoofing issues...

The really dangerous crackers, the ones who'll get the feds knocking on
your door, are well beyond all this kids-play we're discussing here-
and none of this kind of lockdown will help.  (Yes, I'm saying the sky
is  indeed falling- and we gotta relax and live with it.)

--
I gotta say, I'm engaging this issue so hard because it's a discussion
I explicitly do *not* want to be having in 2 years- I'm advocating we

Rocket-
.ike