[nycbug-talk] WiFi use liability. . .

George R. george
Sat Apr 23 20:53:30 EDT 2005

On Apr 23, 2005, at 11:36 AM, csnyder wrote:

> Great thread!

Hmmm. . . I was dropping it since it started to sound like a late-night
bar argument between ike and i with onlookers who think we're crazy. .
.

all that was missing was the spilled absolut shots and turned-over
ashtrays.

> I leave an AP open because I would rather that my neighbors didn't buy
> their own WiFi equipment and step all over the signal. But maybe I'm
> confused --  shouldn't multiple APs (and even telephones) be able to
> share the same frequency?

Yes. . . but AFAIK, there can be issues with too much on the frequency.
. . particularly with 802.11b.  I think g is much better on this stuff.
. .

> Is this just a bandwidth issue? Or are there actually problems due to
> radio interference?

Again, AFAIK, if I'm understanding your question correctly, it's not
about bandwidth, but rather about connectivity between the client and
the router.

I would love to hear more input on this. . .

What was that user group in NYC that was big on HAM radios?  Hans? <g>