[nycbug-talk] 5.4RC2 Question

Aleksandar Kacanski kacanski_s
Tue Apr 26 11:46:00 EDT 2005

Daniel,
read the man page for devfs(5) and MAKE_DEV(9) and
look at the
#/etc/defaults/devfs.rules and
#/sys/param.h files
Permissions should be a part of the make_dev function
  thus, you will not be able to find it anywhere on
the system.
You need to edit several files, namely
#/etc/devfs.conf
#/etc/devfs.rules
and that will provide you with results you want ...
Thanks,
Sasha

--- Daniel Gonzalez <dgonzo at optonline.net> wrote:
> Hello all-
>
> I'm using FreeBSD RC2 and just rebuilt the kernel to
> add support for a
> CDRW. Kernel rebuild completed without issues.
> Modified /etc/devfs.conf
> to set device access for non-root users:
>
> perm pass0 666
> perm xpt0 666
>
> The system can't seem to find the "perm" command.
> I've searched the
> entire directory tree and sure enough there's no
> "perm" command on the
> system. I'm still looking through FreeBSD docs to
> see if the command can
> be " reinstalled." I don't know if this was an issue
> before I rebuilt
> the kernel. Can't find anything in google that would
> aid in me in
> finding the root cause of the problem. If you have
> any suggestions, I
> would appreciate them greatly....I apologize in
> advance if I've left out
> another info you might need to assist.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Daniel Gonzalez
> Senior Maintenance Engineer
> Cablevision Lightpath
> %Be sure to check out our Jobs and NYCBUG-announce
> lists

Aleksandar (Sasha) Kacanski