[nycbug-talk] writeup on PCBSD

George R. george
Thu Apr 28 11:26:33 EDT 2005

On Apr 28, 2005, at 11:07 AM, Dru wrote:

> George, ignore this ;-)
>
> http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/6948

next time, have me unsub then send it.  <g>

Seriously, I have no problem with the effort, and enjoyed your overview
of it DL. . .

It just raises an annoying recurring issue: the 'difficulty' of the BSD
installers, and the audience for the BSDs.

Installation 'difficulties' complaints seem to be out of the mouths of
those who hold Windows as the standard for installation ease.  That is
one monopoly I don't believe MS has.

Additionally, while I wouldn't want to discourage desktop users from
using BSDs, I think the prime audience to build on is admins and
developers, and there's enough to do for them right now that undercuts
the urgency of a PC-BSD-type project.

Nevertheless, when I get a chance, and resolve my numerous hardware
issues at home, I'll give it a try.