[nycbug-talk] VOIP provider leads

Kevin Reiter tux
Fri Aug 5 11:08:44 EDT 2005

George R. wrote:
 <snip>

> Sure, you could go with Vonage, and there are certainly advantages, such
> as the ability to use different soft phones regardless of codec
> compatibility, but there's too many problems I've heard about their
> service, and we don't want to be required to use their hardware.

Which problems would that be?  I've been using them for 9 months now, and
aside from the occasional network hiccup with my ISP, there hasn't been
anything worth noting for some time now (that I'm aware of, anyway.)

As far as using their hardware, the LinkSys box I got from CompUSA
integrates with my network just fine, and I even got a $50 rebate on it
(so I paid $9 for the box) after 30 days.  At the other office I was at,
we had the Vonage line going through a TalkSwitch PBX and it worked great.

I guess what I'm getting at is, what hardware are they forcing you to use?
 You can set it up however you like.

-Kev