[nycbug-talk] SSH not working for particular user

Charles Sprickman spork
Tue Aug 9 14:52:41 EDT 2005

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Aug 2005, George R. wrote:
>
>> /etc/ssh/sshd_config under logging.
>> LogLevel INFO
>
> That must be the current default.. my home machine is set like that.. These
> machines I "inheritted" I noticed that they commented out on most (possibly
> all) the settings from sshd_conf.. so will have to go machine by machine and
> change..

I'm not sure about that, I'm still suspecting a screwy syslog.conf.  The
FreeBSD sshd_config file generally has everything commented out, and it's
assumed that the values there are the defaults.

> Makes me nervous having to restart ssh though. :-(
> No remote connection to them other than ssh for now...

You can try this on something safe, but at some point I noticed that
OpenSSH does not kill off/restart it's children when you HUP the parent
process.  Very handy for situations like this.

Charles