[nycbug-talk] BSD on a desktop (revisited)

Scott Robbins scottro
Thu Aug 11 23:42:57 EDT 2005

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 11:11:11PM -0400, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Aug 2005, Scott Robbins wrote:
>
> >fbsetbg -t image #this is just a bit of eyecandy
>
> did that but no background changed.

Hrrm, odd.  Try it when the wm is running and see what happens.

> >exec evilwm -term aterm
>
> >Then, to open a terminal  ctrl+alt+ return
>
> No border. :-(

There's a 1 pixel border by default--if you put in my commands as I
typed it, I think that made it borderless.

> >To move it around, the same commands as vi (with ctl+alt) l for right, h
> >for left j for down k for up.  A few other things as well.
>
> And to resize?
> How about borders?

When you start it, in .xinitrc you can specify border width with a -bw
<pixel> option.  There's a maximize toggle.  Resize is a mouse button
thing

http://www.6809.org.uk/evilwm/usage.shtml

> So what is good about that WM? smaller memory footprint?

Smaller than flux, certainly.

It was ok, but didn't move me that much.  As for the fbsetbg, that is
assuming that a) you have fluxbox installed and b) feh or something else
that can do the background.

- --

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Mayor Wilkins: She's pretty, Angel. A little skinny. Still
don't understand why it couldn't work out with you and my Faith. I
guess you kinda just have strange tastes in women.
Angel: Yeah, well, what can I say? I like 'em sane.