[nycbug-talk] Monitoring programs

Chris Buechler cbuechler
Sun Aug 21 01:43:46 EDT 2005

On 8/20/05, Kevin Reiter <tux at penguinnetwerx.net> wrote:
> Francisco Reyes wrote:
> > On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, Marc Spitzer wrote:
> >
> >> now for service monitoring/trending take a look at smokeping, dont
> >> know if it is in ports though.
> >

> > Interesting package.
>
> Smokeping is in ports.  On the 4.11-RELEASE box I tested it on, it kept
> core dumping, and I didn't get it working well enough using the various
> options, so I moved on to something else.

The version in ports does *not* work well at all anymore on FreeBSD,
not sure why.  I had the same or similar issues on multiple 4.11 and
5.4 boxes.  I'm running the 2.0rc5 version on a manual install.  I
hate avoiding ports unless completely necessary, but in this case I
do.  Works great.  I have email notification and everything working
flawlessly.  You can grab it here:
http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/smokeping/pub/?M=D/

-Chris