[nycbug-talk] Re: MySQL

Francisco Reyes lists
Sun Aug 21 14:55:51 EDT 2005

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> Try adding a column with a MD5 hash of the email address, and an index that
> covers the hash instead.

The queries are coming from Postfix, not sure we can change how postfix
does it queries.

> Also, normalizing things helps considerably.  Normalized data takes up less
> space, which means less I/O bottleneck.

Again, our use is primarily with Postfix. Nothing fancy. We do use it for
some apps, but the utilization problems are with the Postfix usage.

> Jeremy Zawodny's MySQL Optimization book, his blog, and the various
> presentations he's done are all pretty good.

Thanks.

> However, make sure to backup regularly and don't trust replication unless
> you're going to babysit it.  Even if it doesn't report any errors in slave
> status, some of your tables might not be replicating!

Thanks for the warning.

> Try not to get too tied down to MySQL, you might wanna switch too :)

You bet I want to switch. Just have to understand the operation better
before I even consider it. Only 3 weeks into this new job. Have not even
got to look at the configuration of each machine yet. :-(