[nycbug-talk] Undefining a variable set in make.conf

Scott Robbins scottro
Wed Aug 31 13:37:59 EDT 2005

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 12:25:08PM -0400, Marc Spitzer wrote:
> On 8/31/05, Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 10:51:42AM -0400, Marc Spitzer wrote:
> > > On 8/31/05, Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> > > >

> > > 1: no way to turn it off, WITHOUT_RUBY=="no" is still defined so the
> > > branch is taken.  This is generally not how I would expect things to
> > > happen, I said no and no is no.
> >
> > However, (I've looked through the man pages, and I'm not clear on this,
> > forgive me if it's a stupid question)
> >
> > Suppose he has WITH_RUBY defined in /etc/make.conf.  Now, the subversion
> > Makefile has something like .if defined WITHOUT_RUBY blah blah.
> >
> > Can he do make -DWITHOUT_RUBY install for that one port
> > (/devel/subversion) and keep it for all other ports?
> >
> > What am I missing?
>
> the WITH_X  and WITHOUT_X method are:
>
> 1: set in a global name space, child processes inherit them, so no
> fine grained control
>
> 2: the .if defined(X) is too coarse, no way to un set X so it can not
> be turned off.
>
> 3: you now need to manage the interaction of 2 chunks of code
> consistently across all ports.  Does without take precedence over with
> and other questions also.  This needs to be done correctly or, if you
> are lucky, the port will die during build.  If you are not lucky you
> now have flaky code in production and the real fun begins.
>
> It is all about managing complexity, I want fine grained control over
> what is going on , VAR is specific to the port involved, and I want a
> specific positive action necessary, VAR="YES", to turn something on.
> This allows me to control my system and not live at work, or groups I
> help run, because weird shit is happening.  I just want things to work
> quietly so I can go and do fun stuff at work or home.  Remember Ports
> are supposed to be LESS work then tar balls.

OK, I have a better idea about it now.  Thank you very much Marc, for
your time with this.

- --

Scott

GPG KeyID EB3467D6
( 1B848 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2  A409 FA54 D575 EB34 67D6)

Willow: I knew it! I knew it! Well, not in the sense of having
the slightest idea, but I knew there was something I didn't know.