[nycbug-talk] Oracle 10g on FreeBSD 6.0

Kevin Reiter tux
Thu Dec 1 22:51:59 EST 2005

Marc Spitzer wrote:
> On 12/1/05, Anthony Elizondo <anthony.elizondo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I forgot to mention: I'm doing this partly for educational enrichment.
>>But I am also doing it to show people in my company that FreeBSD can
>>do what Linux can, sometimes better. I'll be doing some simple
>>performance testing to see if Oracle+FreeBSD can compete with
>>Oracle+Linux.
>

> Here is the thing you can not compete with linux here, you can get
> support(that costs an arm and a leg) for linux and you can not for
> freebsd.

You can get paid support for FreeBSD, among other places, from FreeBSD
Mall [1] and from the vendors/consultants listed directly on the FreeBSD
website [2].  Granted, there's not the same amount of companies
providing support for FreeBSD as there are for Linux, but it's out
there.  Hell, we even have a small listing on the NYCBUG website..

[1]http://www.freebsdmall.com/cgi-bin/fm/support.html?id=xWkr3M5c&mv_arg=mv_arg&mv_pc=10
[2]http://www.freebsd.org/commercial/consult_bycat.html