[nycbug-talk] Oracle 10g on FreeBSD 6.0

Marc Spitzer mspitzer
Fri Dec 2 17:16:54 EST 2005

On 12/2/05, Jerry B. Altzman <jbaltz at 3phasecomputing.com> wrote:
> On 11/30/2005 1:56 PM, Okan Demirmen wrote:
> > On Wed 2005.11.30 at 13:49 -0500, Anthony Elizondo wrote:
> >>I don't believe there is a good how-to for installing Oracle 10g on
> >>FreeBSD 6.0. I will venture to make one.
> > if this exercise is for educational purposes, go for it. however, for
> > anything that you ever so slightly care about, i would advise against
> > oracle+freebsd, or heck oracle+linux on most days.
>
> Oracle+linux is at least *supported* by Oracle -- they'll help you get
> it running. Oracle+FreeBSD is "you're on your own".

getting it running is not what scares me so much as *keeping* it
running.  The last thing I ever want to hear is, from any vendor, is
"Please put your box in a supported configuration so that we can start
to work on why your ecommerce site is down during Christmas shopping
season" etc.  To knowingly put a client or employer in that position
is wrong pure and simple, yes even if they agree and want to do it we
should know better.

marc
--
"We trained very hard, but it seemed that every time we were beginning to
form into teams we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that