[nycbug-talk] how much is too much?

Mohan Singh mohansingh68
Sun Dec 4 16:01:58 EST 2005

$work has about 2 dozen employees, all with windows machines. In addition,
there are about 40 rack servers running FreeBSD, with a couple of Linux ones
in the mix.

A single sysadmin (me) has to take care of all the Unix machines (not
generally a problem), all the webservers (ditto), work as help support (a
big time eater), diagnose Windows issues (a huge time eater), write
documentation, and do other office technical work (pretty much support
anything that runs on electricty).

This is obviously too much work for one person to handle, but how many
additional employees would you think are needed? I'm thinking at least one
more full time admin, plus another junior admin/help desk person.

For those of you who work at similar sized companies, how many IT people do
you have on hand?

MS