[nycbug-talk] WM flamefest

pete wright nomadlogic
Tue Dec 13 12:01:13 EST 2005

On 12/13/05, csnyder <chsnyder at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/13/05, pete wright <nomadlogic at gmail.com> wrote:
> > http://mail.gnome.org/archives/usability/2005-December/msg00021.html
> >
> > kinda funny, i'd love to hear what Alan Key has to say about this ;)
> >
> > and here is the kicker:
> > http://mail.gnome.org/archives/usability/2005-December/msg00022.html
> >
> > I guess this is why you don't want coders to do UI.....
> >
> > -p
> >
> > <note I support KDE at work, use Gnome/xfce or fvwm personally and
> > frankly I think KDE is the hardest WM to support...>
>

> Linus is right of course... every longtime Gnome user has at least one
> story of hunting around for "the option that used to be there".

yea sure, there are ton's of things I miss...or have had to spend some
time to figure out.  Although I wouldn't go as far to say that Linus
is right.  A user interface should not get in the way of the task that
the user wan't to accomplish, and I think this is a goal that the
Gnome folks are taking to hart (atleast that was the case at the last
GUADEC conf. I was at).  IMO Linus is just flamming the GNOME folks...

> I'm all for simplicity in a user interface, but elegant solutions
> still allow access to the complexity underneath. Mozilla's
> about:config is a brilliant example -- everything they took out of the
> Preferences dialog (and oh so much more) is available for tweaking
> through a expert interface.

yea about:config is pretty fun, although registries kinda freak me
out.  I'm still trying to figure out an easy way to script mozilla
prefs (or how to migrate key profile and preferences from mozilla to
firefox/thunderbird on a large scale)

-p

--
~~o0OO0o~~