[nycbug-talk] Verizon Woes got you down?

Isaac Levy ike
Tue Dec 20 14:05:13 EST 2005

NOooooo,

On Dec 20, 2005, at 1:52 PM, George R. wrote:

> On Dec 20, 2005, at 1:46 PM, Isaac Levy wrote:
>
>> On Dec 20, 2005, at 12:47 PM, michael wrote:

>>> Was that a cheer and a call for privatization?
>>>
>>> sshhh.. there are non-americans on this list.
>>>
>>> -- Michael
>>
>> Actually, your right- look at what a great scene the wireless
>> voice business is, now that ma' bell is no longer the monopoly
>> (Cingular, AT&T, Verizon, TMobile, Sprint/Nextel, etc...)
>
> Oh, that's interesting. . . wireless is a 'good scene' in the US?

I was being sarcastic- I thought that was understood.

(I loathe my phone service, the policies, tactics, contracts,
connectivity, phone handsets, everything doesn't meet my expectations
based on the prices...)

> I actually think deregulation was the problem with telecom in the
> US. . . Bell Labs, .Ike?  Compare it before and after
> deregulation. . .

Word from the oldschool is that everyone hated Ma' Bell back in the
day too...

> And AFAIK and have seen, the European scene is much better with GSM
> as the standard in terms of coverage, although not in terms of
> pricing (although incoming is free).  And AFAIK, the European GSM
> adoption was a basically pseudo-public/gov't endeavor . . .

Yep- but the Europeans actually have laws that protect and cover more
abstract personal civil liberties, (things that reduce the meme-
attacks of advertising, for example... in America we don't even begin
to deal with such things [perhaps based on our religious, absolutist
hanging-on to 19th century scientific idealism])...

What I'm saying is that we don't respect abstract mental/conceptual/
meme space much in America, so it doesn't surprise me that people
elsewhere do this stuff better...

/me ponders the devaluation of my own .02?

Rocket-
.ike