[nycbug-talk] Verizon Woes got you down?

alex at pilosoft.com alex
Tue Dec 20 15:51:33 EST 2005

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005, Charles Sprickman wrote:

> I still think that if you walk into a high-rise and the mux in the
> basement is owned by some CLEC that you like to work with, you have a
> better chance of getting a timely fix than if you're dealing with
> Verizon.
>
> Also keep in mind that ConEd does NOT use the Empire City Subway for
> their fiber.  Their list of buildings is short, and they are in turmoil,
> but now that they have a buyer, perhaps they will continue putting
> equipment in all of their buildings.
Yes, and yes. :)

> And the right person can push for a mux in the building.  I've seen it
> done for a single T1.  Verizon, as much as I hate them, seem to love
> pushing new equipment out like that once the right buttons are pushed -
> I suppose they see it as extending their monopoly even further. :)
It depends. If there's fiber in the street (in the vault), it may be a
single T1. (but I doubt it - your sales people must have lots of push). If
there needs to be any kind of street digging involved, we talking lots of
T's. At a place in NJ, a friend managed to get VZ to run about 1000ft of
fiber by ordering 15 T1s...