[nycbug-talk] Verizon Woes got you down?

Isaac Levy ike
Tue Dec 20 17:32:07 EST 2005

Hi All,

On Dec 20, 2005, at 11:49 AM, Charles Sprickman wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Dec 2005, Isaac Levy wrote:
>
>> Josh: are there any tests you'd like me to run for you to show
>> this?  So far, the overall speed is definitely much faster than
>> the T1 this is replacing.
>
> What's the round trip time to the far end router?

Been trying with traceroutes, but ICMP packets seems to be dropping
out, can't currently get outside of my border router....

Any other suggestions for finding this out?

>> For anyone:  I'll totally run any network tests people can email
>> me with, just email me with instructions in this thread- (I'm
>> hoping to learn some new tools for network performance monitoring
>> while I'm at this? :)
>
> This tool is good to look at latency, loss and jitter all at once.
>
> Wireless usually looks all over the map with it:
>
> http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/smokeping/
>
> It's very nice for helping decide whether you want to run VoIP or
> any other jitter/loss sensitive service.

That's precisely the tool I was looking for- Thanks Charles!

Rocket-
.ike